The Eikyoji Institute of America (originally located at 548 California Avenue) was established as a non-profit organization in 1989 by Alicia O. Matsunaga and Daigan L. Matsunaga with the wishes and dreams of Americans who wanted to see Buddhism
take root in Nevada and offer the wisdom and practices of Buddhism to further benefit the country. They established Reno Buddhist Church as a Sangha of non-denominational Buddhists (although affiliated with Jodo Shinshu Pure Land denomination of Japanese Buddhism). RBC congregation is made up of folks from all walks of American life - We are American Buddhists.
In 1993, the EIA purchased the RBC Plumas St. property from the Lighthouse of God Church on November 29, 1993. The adjacent Shasta House was also purchased at this time along with the parking lot on the south side of Taylor St.
RENO BUDDHIST CHURCH and RENO BUDDHIST CENTER 2010
Following Dr. Matsunaga’s vision of a non-denominational American Buddhist presence in Reno, RBC makes its facilities available to other Buddhists groups in the area. This is the Reno Buddhist Center. Hiroma Hall, the Kannon Room, the Seishi Room, the RBC library, and the Fireside Room, are all made available to like minded and sangha organizations dana/fee basis.
Eikyoji Temple in Hokkaido Japan
The Eikyoji (Temple of Eternal Teaching) of Japan was established in 1900 by Rev. Taikyo Matsunaga in the middle of wilderness then and still is the northern frontier of Japan. Rev. Taikyo Matsunaga (1866-1940) was an ordained priest in Toyama on the main island of Honshu who migrated north to establish a new church for the farmers there who opened up the virgin land. He and his wife Fude Matsunaga (1879-1942) came to the frontier island of Hokkaido with their 3 years old son Taie and devoted their entire lives to lay the foundation of the Eikyoji Temple.
The third temple master, Rev. Daigan L. Matsunaga, is his son and the pastor of the Reno Buddhist church. Rev. Dr. D. L. Matsunaga, together with his American wife, worked over two decades in Japan to further the development of the Eikyoji. The new roof and new gatehouse were executed under their watch.
The Congregation of the Eikyoji in Japan celebrated their centennial in 2000, and had great interest in sharing their faith with people in Reno and offered support for the Reno Buddhist Church (Eikyoji Institute of America). Many of them have visited Reno and have been sending their sons and daughters to Reno to study at UNR. Many Reno members have been also visiting Eikyoji.
The Eikyoji Institute of America (originally at 548 California Avenue) was established as a non-profit organization in 1989 by Alicia O. Matsunaga and Daigan L. Matsunaga with the wishes and dreams of Americans who wanted to see Buddhism take root in Nevada and offer the wisdom and practices of Buddhism to further benefit the country.